Hangovers can sometimes hit you harder than you think, and even when you have the luxury of taking it easy the next day, it’s not great for your body. Below are some tips you may not be using to reduce the severity of the hangover, but also look after your body.
1. Have an electrolyte drink to rehydrate your body - one of the reasons we get a headache is that alcohol really does dehydrate you. Another similar idea is sports drinks, however these tend to have more sugar so the electroyte drink is better for you (especially if you had sugary drinks the night before!). Alternating water and alcohol is also a good idea to reduce dehydration in the first place.
2. Have some milk thistle (either in tablet or liquid form)
Milk thistle originally comes from the Mediterranean region, but is now grown in many other regions in dry, sunny areas. It gets its name from the milky white fluid that comes from the leaves when they are crushed. Studies have found that a substance in milk thistle known as silymarin helps to repair liver cells damaged by alcohol and other toxic substances. As with any alternative health remedy be careful if you are taking other medication or have a health condition (you may need to check with your doctor), and stick to the recommended dosage.
3. Eat a satisfying meal beforehand that will release energy slowly, such as wholegrains, lean meat, eggs, or dairy products, rather than meals such as white bread or sugary food which causes a greater fluctuation in blood sugar levels.
4. If drinking spirits/mixed drinks, choose lighter liquors such as vodka or gin rather than brandy, whisky or tequilia.
5. Of course, the best idea is not to drink more than 2 standard drinks a day, have at least a few days per week without alcohol and don’t drink without food but you probably already know that!
Please share any good tips you know of in the comments below.